Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Athlete Profile: Stef Sheard



Hometown: Winnipeg, MB

What position(s) do you play: I'm able to play all positions other than pitcher and catcher.

Nickname: Shredder

What College/University have you committed to attending in 2013: I have committed to play softball at Simon Fraser University, located in Burnaby, BC.

What is the softball team’s name/colors: The softball team's name is "the Clan" and the colours are blue and red.

What division and/or conference is your school: Simon Fraser is an NCAA DII university that participates in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. It is the only non-USA team in the NCAA.

What do you want to study at school: Kinesiology

What are some of your softball dreams and goals: This upcoming season I'm hoping to go to the Canada Summer Games and medal for Manitoba.

Long term, I want to continue to push myself and work hard enough so that I can eventually be considered for the National team.

What are you most excited about when you think about going to College: I'm excited to be in BC, it’s beautiful there. I love ball, and I love school, so playing softball at the next level and starting my post secondary education are extremely exciting for me as well.

What character traits do you value most in your teammates: Nothing beats an enthusiastic teammate who constantly pushes herself to her limits, and encourages and motivates the rest of the team to do the same.

Favorite Quote: "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going" - Beverly Sills

If you could spend a day with any one person who would it be and why:
I would spend the day with Bethany Hamilton, she’s an inspiration because even after a huge tragedy, where many people would give up, she pushed forward and continued to pursue her dreams of becoming a professional surfer. She’s a role model to me; I’d want to talk with her about how she adapted to life after the shark attack, and how she remained so positive at such a tough time. We would also take some time to catch some waves!


Other than softball, some of my other hobbies and passions are: Really as far as passions go, it is softball. In my spare time, I enjoy skating, swimming and going to concerts with my friends.

Other sports I have played are: Basketball, Track and Field, Cross Country

Most memorable sporting experience: Representing Manitoba (and placing 2nd) at the Western Canada Summer Games in 2011.

What inspired you to start playing softball: The local community club did not offer roller hockey, so I "settled" for softball. This was the only time in my life that I ever "settled" for anything and it worked out extremely well!

Do you have a pre-game ritual: Lots of pasta the day before, and listening to music on the way to the game helps me focus. Also, I always chew gum before games.

No comments:

Post a Comment