Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Athlete Profile: Olivia Thorleifson



Hometown: Manitou, MB

What position(s) do you play: Utility (but mostly 1st base, 2nd base and outfield)

Nickname: Liv

What College/University have you committed to attending in 2013: I haven't committed yet, but my dream is to attend Harvard! I'm waiting to see if I've been accepted right now, then I'll try out for a walk on spot on the team if I get in.

What is the softball team’s name/colors: the Harvard Crimson, and the colors are crimson, black and white

What division and/or conference is your school: NCAA div 1

What are you wanting to study at school: biology is the plan, but I'm open to a new path if another opportunity presents itself

What are some of your softball dreams and goals: to play div 1 softball for Harvard, to medal at nationals with my club team this summer, to win high school provincials again this year, and to travel to Sherbrooke this summer with Team Manitoba
 

What are you most excited about when you think about going to College: Meeting new people! The population where I live is about 800 and I've had all the same friends since I was kid. I love them, but I'm really looking forward to making new friends too

What character trait do you value most in your teammates: the drive to win, good sportsmanship, and most of all playing for the love of the game and always having fun doing it.

Favorite Quote: "never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" -Babe Ruth


If you could spend a day with any one person who would it be and why: Milt Stegall, because I grew up watching Bomber games with my dad and brother, and he was always our hero. He set numerous records and was a fantastic player as well as a great person who helped my brother through a tough time. I want to learn how to be that kind of person.

Other than softball, some of my other hobbies and passions are: reading, swimming, golfing, exercising, and relaxing at the lake




Other sports I have played are: volleyball, golf, curling, basketball, badminton, and track & field

Most memorable sporting experience: winning the provincial silver medal in a tiebreaker against Westman in 2010, when I played for the Bulldogs. Their best hitter was up with 2 on and 2 out in the bottom of an extra inning and we were up by one. She hit a sky-high pop-up to me at shortstop (if I missed then they would win the game) and I caught it. That was the only time that year that we had beaten them


No comments:

Post a Comment