Friday, November 2, 2012

COLLEGE SERIES: Jillian Dickson

Hometown: Winnipeg, MB

What school do you attend: Well, first I attended junior college at Iowa Western my freshman year and then Seward County in Kansas my sophomore year and now I am at Dakota Wesleyan University.

What position(s) do you play: Pitcher

What year are you in: 3rd year, Junior

Nickname: Jill, Jillybean,
 
 


What is your Major/Minor or Field of Study: My major is psychology and my minor is human services

What is the softball team’s name/colors: Tigers, Blue and Black

What are 5 things you appreciate about your school and/or softball program? The school is really small and everyone is like one big family. Our coach always puts us first no matter what and he puts all trust in us which is awesome. The school has never really had a great program but they are devoting more energy into the softball program now which is great.

Best part of being in College is: Being on your own. Growing up and having the experience that most people will never have. Being able to say that you played college softball.

What are some of your softball dreams and goals: As I am in my third year, I am really looking to break some school records and hopefully by my senior year I can receive an All American. I think that is one of my biggest goals as a college pitcher is to receive and All American Award. One of my other goals is to come home and take what I have learned about the game and pitching and teach it to girls who also wish to play college softball.

What places have you travelled to with your College team: My first year I went to Panama City and Utah, my second year we travelled to Arizona, New Mexico and Texas and this year I will be going to LA and hopefully Georgia.

The part of my game that I would like to improve is: I would like to improve on my defensive skills while I am pitching. Although there is not a whole lot of defense when pitching it does happen and it is something that I wish to improve on.

What character trait do you value most in your teammates: I value hardwork, good attitude, and honesty within a team. If you do not have those three things, it is mighty hard to get along with your team.
 


What is one thing you wish someone had told you before you went off to College: Make sure you always stay organized and manage your time ! I don’t think anyone realises how much work it is to stay focused on school and softball and plan your time wisely. It is very hard to balance both and it is a major skill to have time management and also discipline. You will always have your friends a good times but you can never get rid of a bad final grade !

What advice would you offer younger players who are seeking a softball scholarship: Keep working hard in both the classroom and on the field. Everything happens for a reason, the right school will come your way. If you have many schools to choose from choose the one the feels right. When visiting schools you always get good vibes. Always go with your gut feeling don’t go somewhere just because everyone else goes there or because its somewhere someone is forcing you to go. Go where it feels best !

Favorite Quote: “You think training is hard? Try losing.”

What do you miss most about being away from Home: The thing I miss the most from home is my own bed and home cooked meals. Home cooked meals are no comparison to cafeteria food. If you could spend a day with any one person (dead or alive) who would it be and why: If I could spend a day with one person it would be my family. You do not know what you miss till you are really away from it. I know that it is not one person but I wish that I could sit at a family dinner just for one night .

Other than softball, some of my other hobbies and passions are: Other than softball, I spend most of my time studying for my future; which is being a psychologist. School is very important to me now and it consumes almost all of my free time. If I am not studying I also love my social life.

Other sports I have played are: Volleyball

Most memorable sporting experience: My most memorable sporting experience includes winning provincial championships, and my sophomore year was my all time most memorable softball experience being on the team that I was on.

What makes softball special to you? Softball is special to me because it is something that me and my dad share together. My Dad has taught me everything and because of softball it has also made our relationship more special. When I think of softball I always think of me and my Dad practicing pitching together.

No comments:

Post a Comment