Thursday, October 11, 2012

COLLEGE SERIES: Regan Lawrence

 
Hometown:  Stonewall, MB
 
What school do you attend:  Dickinson State University, Dickinson, North Dakota
 
What position(s) do you play: Pitcher & Outfield
 
What year are you in:  Sophomore (2nd)
 
Nickname: Bug/Rego
 
 
 
What is your Major/Minor or Field of Study: I'm Majoring in Biology to get in to Physiotherapy
 
What is the softball team’s name/colors: We are the Blue Hawks & our colours are Grey & Blue

What are 5 things you appreciate about your school and/or softball program
1. Coaches. We have a good balance of intensity, respect, & love for each other.
2.Teammates. They are like my sisters already.
3. School spirit. The softball team is always volunteering and staying involved with school functions. 4. Classmates. The smaller university environments helped me make friends and get to know my profs and classmates a lot faster.
5. Social. We practice every day and work out all the time but I still feel that I have time to have a social life.
 
Best part of being in College is: Independence
 
What are some of your softball dreams and goals: To be an All-American and help take my team to Nationals
 
What places have you travelled to with your College team: Tucson, Arizona; Columbus, Georgia
 
The part of my game that I would like to improve is: My confidence & to minimize walks
 
What character trait do you value most in your teammates: If you have grit & a tough mentality, you have my respect.
 
What is one thing you wish someone had told you before you went off to College: Just because you are on the team, doesn't mean you'll play. Your team is your family, but also your competition. You need to earn your spot early or you'll earn a spot on the bench.
 
What advice would you offer younger players who are seeking a softball scholarship: Work hard, & be coachable. Coachability is one of the top things college coaches look for.

Favorite Quote: "The goal isn't to live forever, it's to create something that will."
 
What do you miss most about being away from Home: Air Conditioning & not being able to see my family every day.
 
If you could spend a day with any one person (dead or alive) who would it be and why: My sister, because she is starting to mature so fast and I feel like I'm missing a lot of it. Skype doesn't always cut it when you miss someone that much!
 
Other than softball, some of my other hobbies and passions are: Running, yoga, reading, & cooking.
 
Other sports I have played are: Hockey, volleyball, cross-country
 
Most memorable sporting experience: Travelling to Georgia to compete in regionals.. such a different culture than Canadian. Also 2011 Nationals in Winnipeg right before I left for my first year of College. It was heartbreaking to say goodbye to all my friends but also a great experience to have my last in Winnipeg.

What is your favourite thing about your college team: The fact that we are not so much a team, but a family. I'm not sure if all college teams can say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment