Tuesday, September 18, 2012

COLLEGE SERIES: Tara Lynn Nykoluk


  


Hometown: Winnipeg, MB

What school did you attend: I attended Galveston College located on the island of Galveston in Texas.

What position(s) do you play: I am a utility player. During my two years at Galveston College I played 1st base, left field, right field and catcher.
 
What year are you in:  I spent two years at Galveston College and am now continuing on into my third year of university at the University of Manitoba.
 
Nickname:  My teammates called me Tater. My family and close friends often call me Bear.
 
What is your Major/Minor or Field of Study:  I graduated from Galveston College with an Associates of Science Degree and am currently working to graduate with my Bachelor of Science Degree from University of Manitoba. Afterwards I will be applying to the School of Dentistry at the University of Manitoba.
 
What is the softball team’s name/colors:  My college team was names the Galveston College Whitecaps and we wore the colours white, blue, rust orange and grey.
 
What are 3 things you appreciate about your school and/or softball program:
1.     The great friendships I made.
2.     College allowed me to experience my independence.
3.     Going to school as well as being in an elite softball program helped me to improve my time management skills.
The best part of being in College is meeting new people, forming friendships, living with roommates and experiencing a completely different lifestyle. I also enjoyed living two blocks from the Gulf of Mexico.
 
 
What are some of your softball dreams and goals:  To be accepted on the 2013 Canada Summer Games team and help my team to a victory in Sherbrook, QC. Another softball related dream of mine is that one day softball will return to the Olympics.
What places have you travelled to with your College team:  We travelled all over Texas as well as Louisiana.
The part of my game that I would like to improve is... As a hitter, I would really like to improve on placement hitting.  As a catcher I would like to improve on blocking a pitch in the dirt. As a fielder, I would like to improve the speed of my throw. 
What character trait do you value most in your teammates:  I admire teammates who encourage other teammates who have just made an error to shake it off, rather than reacting negatively. I also admire a teammate who can have fun while still being intense and focused.
What is one thing you wish someone had told you before you went off to College:  Which clothes shrink when you put them in the dryer.
What advice would you offer younger players who are seeking a softball scholarship:  I would advise that you keep your options open, speak to more than one or two schools and be able to play more than one position.
 
Favorite Quote:  “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” – Dr. Seuss
 
What do you miss most about being away from Home:  My parents, pets and my bed.
If you could spend a day with any one person (dead or alive) who would it be and why:  I would spend a day with my grandpa because I miss him.
Other than softball, some of my other hobbies and passions are:  I enjoy reading, baking and rollerblading.
 
Other sports I have played are:  I have played ringette and volleyball
 
Most memorable sporting experience:  Getting my acceptance letter to the 2007 Western Canada Summer games team because that is when my journey representing my province began.
 
Where do I imagine myself in 10 years:  I am graduated from Dental School and starting my own practice in BC. I am married with two children and a puppy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment